Peace movements -- Washington (D.C.) -- History -- Sources
Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter,...
Collection — Othertype CDG-A
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Washington Pacifist Fellowship
Overview The Washington Peace Center was formed in 1963 upon the dissolution of the Peace Action Center of Washington, D.C. The organization seeks to educate the public on peace issues through youth programs, conscientious objector/draft counseling, film screenings, speakers, workshops on peace topics, discussions, and the publication of a newsletter. Its mission statement as of 2013 includes : "The Washington Peace Center is an anti-racist, grassroots, multi-issue organization working for peace,...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1960-2013