Peace -- Religious aspects -- Christianity
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Includes correspondence, brochures, program literature, and newsletters.
Correspondence; mimeographed copies of minutes, notices and publicity materials.
The Society for the Promotion of Universal and Permanent Peace, also known as the London Peace Society, was founded June 14, 1816. Members were primarily Protestant, especially Quaker. Although its official platform was based on an absolutist pacifist stance, its members included peace workers who did not accept the full pacifist position. By 1930 it had taken the name of International Peace Society, having become incorporated with the International Christian Peace Fellowship.
The records of the FCC and NCC highlight the unifying issues for national church work, including labor rights, anti-racism, and conscientious objection.