Endowments -- United States -- History -- Sources
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
The Agape Foundation was a non-profit public foundation, which raised and distributed funds to groups working for nonviolent social change. From its formation in 1969 by a group of pacifists and anti-war activists in Palo Alto, California, the Agape Foundation provided millions of dollars to nonviolent, grassroots organizations throughout the western United States. It was headquartered in San Francisco. In 2010 the Agape Foundation merged with the Peace Development Fund.
Founded in 1958 in New York City as a trust fund exclusively for religious, charitable, and educational purposes. On December 20, 1990 the Foundation was reorganized and moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to provide fiscal sponsorship to the Scholarship Project of Training for Change, a Philadelphia-based social change training center.
This collection includes correspondence (1981-1985), administrative files, financial records, minutes of Board of Directors' meetings (1990-2008), and publicity materials. Much of the correspondence is to, or from, Ed Pearson, a founder and National Coordinator of CMTC. The collection includes information about international war tax resistance efforts, nonviolent direct action campaigns, and grants made from interest on the escrow account.