Skip to main content

Quakers -- Pennsylvania

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 248 Collections and/or Records:

Frazer-Willets Family Papers

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG5-208
Abstract The Willets family were members of Westbury Monthly Meeting and lived at their farm, Homewood, from the mid 19th century until 1965. Eliza K. Willets, the last resident, was the daughter of Thomas Whitson Willets and Hannah Keese; known affectionately as Aunt Lila, she graduated from Swarthmore College in 1893. Her sister, Anna, married Edward Morgan Lapham of Chicago in 1908. In 1940, their daughter, Anne Willets Lapham, married E. Wayne Frazer, the son of John E. and Elizabeth Gamber...
Dates: 1756 - 1995

Joseph Scattergood (collector) An account of the Free Quakers

 Collection — Othertype SC-113
Identifier: SFHL-SC-113
Abstract This volume contains the collection of Joseph Scattergood of original and manuscript copies of documents relating to the Free Quakers, bound by his son George Scattergood. The Free Quakers disagreed with the strict disownment policy for members of the Society of Friends who fought in the Revolutionary War. Led by Samuel Wetherhill, this group wanted to practice Quakerism without the strict rules of discipline and disownment. The papers in Scattergood's collection include petitions, published...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1781-1885 [ 1781-1802]

Friendly Association for Regaining and Preserving Peace with the Indians by Pacific Measures records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: SFHL-SC-043
Abstract

Correspondence, including that with civil and military authorities, accounts of preliminary meetings with Indian delegates, and invoices, relating to the Treaty of Easton.

Dates: 1756 - 1762

Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-020
Abstract

Friends Boarding Home of Bucks Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the aged in Newtown. Pennsylvania, was opened in 1897 and incorporated in 1899. In 1900 it moved to a new building erected on Congress Street, with funds given by Edward M. Paxson in memory of his parents. Friends' Village was opened in 1981. The records include correspondence, minute books, constitution and legal papers, reports, and other papers.

Dates: 1896-2013

Friends Center City Retirement Community records

 Collection
Identifier: HC.MC-1354
Abstract

This collection contains materials belonging to Ted Reed related to the Friends Center City Retirement Community (FCCRC or FCC), a non-profit retirement community in downtown Philadelphia.

Dates: 1997 - 2020

Friends Freedmen's Association Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-024
Abstract Friends' Freedmen's Association was an organization of Philadelphia Quakers founded in 1863 as Friends' Association of Philadelphia and Its Vicinity, for the Relief of Colored Freemen. Its purpose was to provide relief and education to formerly enslaved people during and after the Civil War. The name was changed circa 1873. From 1947-1955 the Association supported black students in schools and summer work camps. From 1955-1970 the income from investments was used to provide grants for...
Dates: 1863-1982

Friends Historical Association

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-026
Abstract

Friends Historical Association is an organization that promotes research and publication on topics in Quaker history. Membership and editorial offices are located at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges. Minutes of the organization after 1964 are at Haverford College.

Dates: 1942-2001

Friends Historical Library Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-027
Abstract

This collection contains the records of Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, Quaker reference library and archives, founded in 1871. Included are administrative records and correspondence, primarily that of the librarians and other staff, and miscellaneous records.

Dates: 1879-

Friends' Home for Children

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-086
Abstract Friends' Home for Children (“Friendly Acres”) was established in 1881 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers. The Home was a residential facility for orphans and other children in need, modeled on a homelike environment rather than the large institutional more typical of the era. The Home was administered by a Board of Managers which originally was composed entirely of members of the Society of Friends. Eventually it became a summer camp, “Camp Sommerdale,” a summer facility for the children....
Dates: 1881-1988

Friends Meeting Houses Surveys

 Collection
Identifier: HC.MC-1231
Abstract

This collection contains the photographic records and architectural and historical reports of the Friends Meeting House Survey of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting compiled between the years of 1996 and 2002 comissioned by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Meeting Houses surveyed include those throughout the Philadelphia, Delaware, and New Jersey areas.

Dates: 1996-2002