Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
The Aimwell School in Philadelphia was founded in 1796 by Anne Parrish (1760-1800) for the purpose of providing "a good English education" in the primary and grammar grades for underprivileged girls. It was instituted by the Society for the Free Instruction of Female Children and operated under the management of the Society of Friends.
The manuscript of Gergory Barnes's "Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House: A Biography" provides a history of Philadelphia's Arch Street Meeting House from the purchase of the land by William Penn in 1683, to the present, including important Quaker individuals, the influence of Philadelphia's history on the Meeting House, the Orthodox-Hicksite separation, and the Wilburite-Gurneyites.
Jacob R. Elfreth Sr. was a teacher and a bookkeeper for the Leigh Navigation Company. The majority of entries detail family news, Quaker meetings, Elfreth's work with the Leigh Navigation Company, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community,
The collection contains records of meeting minutes, correspondence, financial statements, information concerning the Conference for Quaker Historians and Archivists, details about various committes within the association, publications and publicity, events, and miscellaneous materials of the Friends Historical Association.
This collection is composed of one original book and a set of photocopied indices. The book is handwritten, and along with the genealogy includes many glued in photos, newspaper obituaries, and several genealogies or family trees of Leeds families. The set of indices is presented as an index for the family genealogy, and was compiled in 1947 by Morris Leeds.