Quakers -- Societies, etc.
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 47 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Association for the Care of Colored Orphans, also known as “The Shelter,” was founded in Philadelphia by Quaker women in 1822 to care for black orphans, both boys and girls, within a nurturing, home-like environment. In 1915, it relocated to Cheyney, Pa, and became a home for girls. In 1965, its name was changed to “Friends Shelter for Girls,” and its mission evolved to serve as a home for teenaged girls. In 1981 it ceased to function as a group home and was succeeded by Friends Association...
Overview The Benezet House Association, Philadelphia, Pa., was formed in 1917 to assist and educate the City's poor African American and immigrant residents. It was created by the merger of the Joseph Sturge Mission School, a First Day school for African Americans founded in 1865; Anthony Benezet School, founded in 1795 as the School for Black People and their Descendants (also known as the Raspberry Street School); and Western District Colored School, founded 1848 under the care of Twelfth Street...
Overview The Bucks Auxiliary Bible Association of Friends, a Quaker Bible distribution society, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was established in 2nd month, 1830, under the Bible Association of Friends in America. Its purpose was to supply “Friends and others with the Holy Scripture, “to encourage “the frequent and serious perusal of them”, and to promote “a more accurate knowledge of their invaluable contents”. All subscriptions collected by the Auxiliary were turned over to the parent body,...
Abstract Contains the minutes of Burlington-Bucks Young Friends Forum from September 1942 through June 1944 with some topical leaflets, a mimeographed newsletter dated Nov. 1, 1943, and a photograph of the Young Friends at Ocean City, NJ, in 1940.
Overview The Chester Friends Association was established in Chester, Pennsylvania, in 1901 as a society to study Quaker history and literature. This collection contains the record book of Chester Friends Association, a society to study Quaker history and literature. The volume contains minutes, constitution, and by-laws.
Overview Contains the papers of Carlisle G. Davidson, Quaker editor. Chiefly correspondence and articles, including editorial correspondence concerning the periodical, The Pentecostal Friend, published by the Evangelical Friends Association, a Quaker Pentecostal organization located in Detroit, Michigan, and correspondence concerning the formation of the Elgon Yearly Meeting in East Africa.
Overview The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.
Overview The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pa, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.
Overview Friends Circle, a Quaker study and social group, was established in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1884. The group met regularly to discuss topics of mutual interest. The collection contains four volumes of bound minutes, 1884-1896.