Women -- Pennsylvania -- Societies and clubs
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
The Central Employment Association, a women's charity, was established circa 1840 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers as the Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor. The collection contains the charter and by-laws, work and financial records, and correspondence, 1840-1942.
The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.
The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.
The League of Women Voters was established in 1920 as a nonpartison organization to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation in government. The Swarthmore Branch was founded in 1948 and in 2006 merged with the League of Women Voters, Central Delaware County. The collection contains minutes, financial reports, publications, and miscellaneous papers of the League of Women Voters of Swarthmore, Pa.
The Swarthmore Garden Club, Swarthmore, Pa., was founded in 1958 with the purpose "to stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening among both amateur and experienced gardeners." The collection contains minutes and reports, 1958-2014 (with gaps), scrapbooks and other miscellaneous papers.
This collection contains the records of the Woman's Club of Swarthore, founded in 1898. The Club offered women of the community a means of support and education, a place to meet and find common interests and nurtured the founding of a number of community organizations. The Club disbanded in 2002.