Community centers -- Pennsylvania
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Friends Neighborhood Guild is a social welfare agency established by Hicksite Quakers in 1879 to serve the Poplar section of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It began as a volunteer organization for immigrant children and evolved into a settlement house and community center. This collection primarily contains early records of Friends Neighborhood Guild, and also the records of two related Quaker societies, the Friendly Settlement Association and the Spring Street Mission.
These records contain printed pamphlets describing and advertising aspects of the Haverford Community Center. The center was created to cultivate community in the Haverford area for people of all ages through activities, clubs, and events. Included is a financial report for the expenditures of the center, as well as a thorough review of the center’s advantages and disadvantages regarding their intent and impact on the community.
Philadelphia Young Friends' Association was a Hicksite organization established in 1888 for educational and social purposes. The Young Friends Association established and operated The Whittier, a hotel and social center in Philadelphia. The name of the Association was changed in 1957 to The Whittier Association. The collection contains minutes, financial records, correspondence, and other records.