Skip to main content

Charities -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:

Friends Instruction Association records

 Collection — Othertype RG4-028
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-028
Abstract Contains the records of the Friends Instruction Association including minutes and financial records, receipts from stores, and published bylaws. Friends Instruction Association was organized in 1873 by Philadelphia Quaker women as A Mothers Meeting. Originally part of the Penn Sewing School, the group incorporated in 1876 as Friends Instruction Association. Philadelphia Monthly Meeting provided a meeting space in the Race Street meeting house. Its purpose was...
Dates: 1843-1894

Friends Neighborhood Guild

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-035
Abstract

Friends Neighborhood Guild is a social welfare agency established by Hicksite Quakers in 1879 to serve the Poplar section of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It began as a volunteer organization for immigrant children and evolved into a settlement house and community center. This collection primarily contains early records of Friends Neighborhood Guild, and also the records of two related Quaker societies, the Friendly Settlement Association and the Spring Street Mission.

Dates: 1880-1962

Grandom Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-040
Abstract The Grandom Institution was a charity established in 1841 through the will of Hartt Grandom, a Philadelphia Quaker, to provide fuel, clothing, and financial assistance to poor Philadelphians. The collection contains minutes, reports, legal, and financial records, as well as similar records of two affiliated but independent organizations, the Fuel Savings Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Soup House and records pertaining to the William Keinath Fund, an...
Dates: 1765-1971

Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-044
Abstract The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Dates: 1859-1907

Howard Institution (Philadelphia, Pa.)

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-045
Abstract

The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.

Dates: 1857-1956

Penn Sewing School records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-056
Abstract

Penn Sewing School was founded in 1868 as the Friends Sewing School. The name was changed in 1871 and classes suspended in 1899. The collection contains minute books (1876-1906), charter, history, printed report, and other papers.

Dates: 1868 - 1906

Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Records: Coordinating Committee for Testimonies & Concerns (1974-1998)

 Collection — Othertype SW/Phy/701
Identifier: QM-Phy-701
Abstract In 1974, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting was restructured: three Coordinating Committees were each given oversight of the committees and programs under its care. The Coordinating Committee II, more frequently referred to as CC-2, had general responsibility for Testimonies and Concerns. In 1998, a system of standing committees replaced the three Coordinating Committees within Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. The Peace and Concerns Standing Committee assumed responsibility for many of the programs...
Dates: 1971-2000

Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys (Cheyney, Pa.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-043
Abstract

Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.

Dates: 1855-1956

The Northern Association of the City and County of Philadelphia for the Relief and Employment of Poor Women records

 Collection
Identifier: SFHL-RG4-053
Abstract

This Hicksite Quaker women's charity was organized in 1844 and incorporated in 1856. Its mission was to provide employment in sewing for poor women. Lucretia Mott served as president until 1866. The Association went out of existence in 1926. The collection contains legal documents, financial records, membership list (1849-1872), reports, correspondence, and related papers.

Dates: 1841-1929