Byberry (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Byberry Hall Association was organized in 1854 when the citizens of Byberry township and vicinity decided to form a company for the purpose of erecting a building where residents could meet to hear lectures, hold elections, etc. This collection contains the records of the Byberry Hall Association, 1847-1981. It includes the secretary's book containing minutes (1854-1905); account books, deeds and miscellaneous papers.
Minutes of the Byberry Improvement Association which was organized "for the general improvement of Byberry and vicinity." The group had about forty members and met monthly. They were concerned with the condition of the local roads, transportation, and schools. The minute book also includes attendance records and the constitution and by-laws of an earlier Association (1895)
Minutes of the Byberry Philosophical Society which was formed in the early nineteenth century for the "acquisition and promotion of scientific knowledge." The group collected specimens of flora, fauna, minerals, and items of historic interest and eventually erected a building to hold the collection. Almost all of their members were Quakers, but this was not a condition of membership.
The Byberry School Association was formed in 1837 by several members of the Society of Friends, mostly members of Byberry Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) for the purpose of raising stock to buy land and erect a secondary school in Byberry, Pennsylvania. It includes minutes, financial records, and some miscellaneous papers.
Handwritten (partial) and typed copies of reminiscences of Elliott Richardson, 1881-1941. Elliott Richardson, II, (1881-1964) served as long-time Borough Manager of Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. He was a graduate of Swarthmore College, 1902.
The Byberry Friends Association was a Quaker group which met monthly in Byberry, Pa, to hear papers on a variety of topics and to discuss issues of the day. This collection contains the records of the Friends Association of Byberry, 1900-1932.
The collection contains photographs and other images of members of the Richardson and Yarnall families, Pennsylvania Quakers who lived in Philadelpia and Byberry, Pennsylvania. The families were united by the marriage in 1816 of Nathaniel Richardson and Hannah Yarnall of Byberry. Of special interest are the silhouettes of members of the Richardson and Yarnall families created in the Peale Museum, Philadelphia