Quaker women -- Education
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Heacocks were a Quaker family of Bucks and Montgomery Counties, Pennsylvania. The collection includes correspondence, diary, and letter book (1871-1872), of Joseph Heacock (1846-1918), farmer, of Wyncote, Pa., including material relating to his work on a farm in Albion, N.Y., and in iron works in Pittsburgh, Pa., to earn money to pay debts; account book (1836-1877) of his father, Joseph Heacock (1800-1883); papers relating to the teaching activity of his wife, Elizabeth Walker Heacock,...
Overview Hadassah M.L. Holcombe (1891-1978) was a Quaker educator who was a co-founder of the Friends Council of Education and served as Secretary of the Friends General Conference and Chairman of the Committee on Education of the Friends World Conference. Hadassah Holcombe taught mathematics at the Germantown Friends School for ten years, and, in addition to her other activities, served on the Boards of Swarthmore College, Antioch, George School, Sidwell Friends, and Haverford College. The...
Overview Emily Howland (1827-1929) was a Quaker humanitarian and educator who is particularly known for her work with formerly-enslaved African Americans in Virginia during and after the American Civil War. A birthright Friend, Emily Howland was the only daughter of Slocum and Hannah (Tallcot) Howland of Sherwood, N.Y. She was educated locally and for a brief period in Philadelphia, and then moved to Washington, D.C. in 1857 to teach at the Miner School for Freedmen. During the war she worked at a...
Collection — Box 1
Overview The Schofield Normal and Industrial School was founded in 1868 by Martha Schofield (1839-1916), a Pennsylvania Quaker. Her intention initially was to provide education for formerly enslaved people. The School gradually evolved into a boarding school for training young blacks in industrial trades or to become teachers. It was absorbed into the public school system in 1952. The collection contains minutes of the board of trustees (1886-1942), legal documents, financial records, correspondence...