Swarthmore College. Astronomy Department
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Swarthmore College offered its first elective course in Astronomy in the mid 1870's. In 1885, the Board reported a proposal to erect an observatory near the east end of the College property. After Professor Susan Cunningham retired in 1906, Dr. John A. Miller was appointed as Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy. Until 1952, courses were listed under the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy; a separate Department of Astronomy existed until it became the Department of Physics and Astronomy...
Dates: 1899 - 1986
Overview This collection, dating from 1905 to 1975, consists of astronomy images taken or collected by Swarthmore College Astronomy Department students and professors. Most of the images are on glassplates, but there are also some paper photographs. Images depict the college, eclipses, constellations, comets, and more.
Dates: 1905 - 1975