Pendle Hill (School: Wallingford, Pa.)
Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:
Overview This collection contains research notes and cassette tape recordings created by Margaret Hope Bacon during the writing of her book Let This Life Speak: The Legacy of Henry Joel Cadbury, published in 1987.
Dates: 1985-1987, undated
Overview Dorothea Johnson Blom (1911-1991) was a Quaker writer, artist, and teacher. She became a member of the Society of Friends in 1937 at Chappaqua Monthly Meeting, subsequently transferring to Purchase Monthly Meeting. She co-authored nine books and taught courses at Pendle Hill and other schools in art history and art appreciation with an emphasis on the Jungian concept of growth and spiritual needs. The collection contains her letters to her friend Liza B. ("Betty") Lewis, 1961-1975, reflecting...
Abstract Howard Haines Brinton and Anna Shipley Cox Brinton were 20th-century Quaker educators and prolific authors whose areas of expertise included the physical sciences and the Classics. Notably, they also worked for the American Friends Service Committee in Europe, for Friends Center in Tokyo, Japan, and as directors of Pendle Hill, an adult study center in Wallingford, PA. They were both recorded ministers in the Religious Society of Friends. This collection also contains materials of other...
Overview Sandra Lee Cronk was a Quaker author who co-founded School of the Spirit, a ministry of prayer and learning under the auspices of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Her papers include manuscripts of her published works, numerous unpublished manuscripts, and records of some of the workshops that she gave at Pendle Hill.
Overview Bainbridge C. Davis (1910-1993) was a Quaker active in many concerns and organizations. He worked as a Foreign Service Officer, serving in Venezuela, Jamaica, Chile, and Panama. He retired early, at the age of 62, to devote himself to Quaker causes. He worked to improve race relations and opposed U.S. support for dictatorships. Organizations and committees which he was active in include the Friends World Committee for Consultation, American Friends Service Committee, and Pendle Hill. He was a...
Overview Emil Fuchs (1874-1971) was the first Lutheran pastor to join the Social Democratic Party in Germany after World War I. He was a pacifist and became a member of the Society of Friends in 1925. Six years later he was appointed a Professor of Religious Science at Kiel, but was dismissed and briefly imprisoned by the Nazis. The religious writings in this collection were prepared mostly in the 1930's and are in mimeographed form. The autobiographical work was revised and published as Mein Leben...
Overview Elizabeth A.W. (Betty) Furnas was an active member of the Society of Friends who served as a member of the Board of Pendle Hill and was a member of the Women's Problems Group of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and its sucessor, Philadelphia Quaker Women. The collection includes minutes and correspondence, particularly of the latter, as well as published and unpublished writings and other material.
Overview Patricia Loring was a Quaker author, teacher, and retreat leader, most active in her related work in the 1980s and 1990s. She was the author of a widely read Quaker spiritual guide, Listening Spirituality, vols. 1 and 2. For eight years her ministry was supported by Bethesda Friends Meeting, Bethesda, Maryland. This collection includes a variety of Patricia Loring's papers, largely beginning when she joined the Religious Society of Friends. Much of the collection consists of papers from...
Dates: 1982 - 2015
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Pendle Hill School
Abstract This collection consists of some information about the history and organization of Pendle Hill, but is primarily composed of programs about Pendle Hill activities, 1960-.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1934-
Overview Pendle Hill is a Quaker study center located in Wallingford, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1930 out of an earlier Quaker school and study center, the Woolman School. The Woolman School was established in 1915 under the care of the General Conference Committee of the Seven Yearly Meetings (Hicksite). In 1917, it was reorganized as a joint enterprise of Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, governed by a Board of Managers. The Woolman School was incorporated in 1918. In 1928, it was reorganized as...