SFHL/FHL/RG4. Organizational Records
Record Group Term
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College holds the records of many organizations that were established by or largely under the direction of members of the Society of Friends.
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Annual Association for the Relief of Sick Children in the Summer was a Quaker women's organization founded in 1818 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to provide relief for impoverished sick children and their mothers from the crowding and oppressive heat during the summer months. The collection contains minutes, 1818-1854 (gap 1819-1821) and other records, including acting committee minutes and workbook, 1843-1851.
Overview The Benezet House Association, Philadelphia, Pa., was formed in 1917 to assist and educate the City's poor blacks and immigrants. It was created by the merger of the Joseph Sturge Mission School, a First Day school for blacks founded in 1865; Anthony Benezet School, founded in 1795 as the School for Black People and their Descendants (also known as the Raspberry Street School); and Western District Colored School, founded 1848 under the care of Twelfth Street Meeting as a graded primary school....
Overview The Central Employment Association, a women's charity, was established circa 1840 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers as the Northern Female Association for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor. The collection contains the charter and by-laws, work and financial records, and correspondence, 1840-1942.
Overview The Female Association of Philadelphia for the Relief of the Sick and Infirm Poor with Clothing was a Quaker charity founded in 1828 to distribute clothing and provide other assistance to the sick and poor of Philadelphia. It went out of existence in 1975.
Overview Friends' Home for Children (“Friendly Acres”) was established in 1881 in Philadelphia by Hicksite Quakers. The Home was a residential facility for orphans and other children in need, modeled on a homelike environment rather than the large institutional more typical of the era. The Home was administered by a Board of Managers which originally was composed entirely of members of the Society of Friends. Eventually it became a summer camp, “Camp Sommerdale,” a summer facility for the children....
Overview Friends Neighborhood Guild is a social welfare agency established by Hicksite Quakers in 1879 to serve the Poplar section of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It began as a volunteer organization for immigrant children and evolved into a settlement house and community center. This collection primarily contains early records of Friends Neighborhood Guild, and also the records of two related Quaker societies, the Friendly Settlement Association and the Spring Street Mission.
Overview The Grandom Institution was a charity established in 1841 through the will of Hartt Grandom, a Philadelphia Quaker, to provide fuel, clothing, and financial assistance to poor Philadelphians. The collection contains minutes, reports, legal, and financial records, as well as similar records of two affiliated but independent organizations, the Fuel Savings Society of the City and Liberties of Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia Soup House and records pertaining to the William Keinath Fund, an...
Overview The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans). This bound volume contains the...
Overview The Howard Institution was a Quaker women's charity founded in Philadelphia in 1853 to provide shelter to discharged female prisoners. Its scope was later broadened to assist more generally troubled women and girls. It ceased activity in 1956. The collection contains correspondence from 1942 to 1956, administrative papers, and printed reports and history.
Overview Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys was founded in 1855 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as the Home for Destitute Colored Children, a Hicksite Quaker women's charity which provided shelter and education for black children (generally boys) and then placed them with private families. The Home built a new facility in Cheyney, Pa, in 1922, and the name was changed to Sunnycrest Farm for Negro Boys in 1945. The collection contains minutes, financial and legal records, and reports.