Skip to main content
Archives & Manuscripts

Frankford Preparative Meeting Records

Identifier: QM-Ph-F700
Minutes and other records of Frankford Preparative Meeting, 1733-1928, as follows: Hicksite and Orthodox men's meeting minutes, 1772-1928; Hicksite and Orthodox women's meeting minutes, 1795-1907; minutes of the School Committee, 1783-1844; Hicksite financial records, including Treasurer's book, 1772-1928; Hicksite women's meeting (Germantown branch) account book, 1863-1877; School Committee account book,1783-1857 with receipt book, 1795-1798 and minutes, 1843-1852; carpentry agreement in the building of the Oxford meeting house in 1733; membership lists for the Hicksite meeting, 1832.


  • 1733-1928

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access is through microfilm, if available.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.


3 Linear Feet

Biographical / Historical

A meeting for worship known as Tacony was established in 1683 by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting; it became part of a monthly meeting along with Poetquesink (Byberry) Meeting in 1683. This was the origin of Abington Monthly Meeting. From 1685 to 1805, this meeting was known as "Oxford." In 1805 the name was changed to "Frankford." It became part of Frankford Monthly Meeting in 1816.

The Orthodox preparative meeting was discontinued in 1928.

The Hicksite preparative meeting absorbed Germantown Preparative Meeting and was transferred to Green Street Monthly Meeting in 1827. In 1999, Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting, in conjunction with Green Street Monthly Meeting, approved a minute granting Frankfort Preparative Meeting monthly meeting status; the Meeting changed its name to Unity Monthly Meeting to avoid confusion with Frankford Monthly Meeting at Orthodox Street, the successor to Frankford Monthly Meeting (Orthodox).

Immediate Source of Acquisition

A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Library Quaker Collection
Description rules
Language of description

Revision Statements

  • 2017: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model. This finding aid was updated in 2017 by Madison Arnold-Scerbo.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library