Women -- Societies and clubs
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Aimwell School in Philadelphia was founded in 1796 by Anne Parrish (1760-1800) for the purpose of providing "a good English education" in the "primary and grammar grades" for poor girls. It was instituted by the Society for the Free Instruction of Female Children and operated under the management of the Society of Friends.
Overview The Brooks Family Papers contain extensive correspondence, diaries, and other papers from multiple generations of the Buck, Butler, and Brooks families of New England and the Mid-West and the Kerner family of Delaware. Most prominently represented are Morgan Brooks (1861-1947), a professor of engineering, and his wife, Frona Marie (Brooks) Brooks (1861-1947). One of their children, Charles Franklin Brooks (1891-1958), became a member of the Society of Friends shortly after marrying Eleanor M....
Dates: 1790-1992 (bulk 1832-1960)
Overview The Conversational Club of Norristown is a women’s education club founded in 1885 that continues to meet today whose purpose is the “Study of History, Literature, and Art, and the promotion of intelligent thought and conversation.” The collection of the club’s papers consists of records of the meetings and activities of the club from 1885 to 2013 primarily in the forms of minutes, programs, correspondence, and other sources collected by the club.
Dates: 1885 - 2013
Scope and Contents This collection is comprised of one volume of minutes and attendence lists from 1843 - 1860. The minutes describe the work of the organization, including reports from their relief work and financial reports.
Scope and Contents The collection includes one book from 1852 - 1854 which begins with the mission of the society, and otherwise includes informal minutes, listings for material and financial donations given by memberships, and the number of people at each meeting. The back pages include lists of monetary donations made to constituent members for the same years.
Abstract A Quaker lobbying group established in 1943 to bring conscience and spiritual values to the political process in Washington; it grew out of the work of the Friends War Problems Committee in 1940.
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-General Federation of Women's Clubs
Abstract Collection includes pamphlets, leaflets, printed correspondence and notices.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1920-
Overview The Woman’s Club of Germantown records document the efforts of clubwomen to engage in community and civic life in Germantown, Pennsylvania from 1917 to 1982. The collection is not complete; however, researchers will find a fair sampling of documentation, evidencing Club administration and work for most years of its existence. The collection houses meeting minutes; committee, financial and other administrative records; scrapbooks and photograph albums; and records of the Woman’s Club of...
Dates: 1917 - 1982
Abstract Minutes (1949-), reports, form letters and memoranda, literature, financial records, and material relating to some of the projects supported by the association, including Art for World Friendship, Committee for World Development and World Disarmament, and Jane Addams Children's Book Award. Persons represented include Ruth Chalmers, executive director.
Overview The signature album of Margaret MacIntosh includes signatures on individual cards, a letter from the Diocese of the Arctic to the Helping Hands Sewing Circle, and a letter from the secretary of state in reference to MacIntosh's request for a signature.