SFHL/SHS. Swarthmore Historical Society
The Swarthmore Historical Society was founded in 1988, and its collections were deposited in Friends Historical Library in 1996.
Found in 24 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The Swarthmore Tree Committee was mandated by the borough of Swarthmore to fulfill the responsibilities of a Shade Tree Commission. The Tree Committee was created in 1971. The records include the mandate from the Borough of Swarthmore, minutes, and miscellaneoous papers.
Overview Records of the Swarthmore Village Business and Professional Association, a group organized to encourage a healthy business district. The Association sponsored a sidewalk sale, Christmas Carol sing, and other activities in an effort to promote the local businesses. It dissolved in January 1994 due to lack of participation of its membership.
Overview This collection contains the records of the Woman's Club of Swarthore, founded in 1898. The Club offered women of the community a means of support and education, a place to meet and find common interests and nurtured the founding of a number of community organizations. The Club disbanded in 2002.
Overview Irma Elizabeth Zimmer was a life-long Swarthmore resident who taught at Swarthmore High School from 1946 to 1976. After her retirement, she was active in groups that attempted to prevent the merger into the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District. After these efforts were unsuccessful, she participated in projects to start a charter school, reopen the Swarthmore K-8 School, and develop a senior community center on Wallingford-Swarthmore School District property. She also served on Borough...