Skip to main content

Friends' Boarding Home of the Concord Quarterly Meeting

Identifier: SFHL-RG4-081

Scope and Contents

Records of the Friends Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting. Also includes information regarding guests, historical material and correspondence.


  • Creation: 1890-1991


Conditions Governing Access

Parts of the collection are restricted.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See

Biographical / Historical

On Oct. 28, 1890, at the Meeting of Women Friends of Concord Quarterly Meeting, “Lydia H. Hall laid before the meeting a regard to establishing a Home for friends of limited circumstances, where they might have the comforts which they could not have unaided.” A Committee met at Race Street Meeting House in 1890, and at another meeting held 2mo. 1891, the name was decided upon and an Executive Committee was chosen. The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting was established in 1891 for women only. The first male guest was admitted in 1894, and over the following decade the admission of men became more frequent.

The Home first was located in rented building. In 1893, the Old Main building was erected, which was followed in 1898 by Lydia Hall. In 1928 Nathaniel G. Hickman bequeathed a sum of money to the West Chester Meeting for the purpose of building a home for the elderly. A building was completed in June 1936 adjacent to the earlier buildings as a memorial to Nathaniel Hickman and his brother, Samuel G. Hickman. The Home has been variously known as the West Chester Friends Home, the Friends' Home in West Chester, and, most recently, The Hickman.

The Home was licensed as a nursing facility and in 1975, the Executive Committee was made aware of this fact and realized that they did not meet the federal and state requirements to operate nursing care facilities. Therefore, a phase-out of the infirmary was planned to take place before October 1976, and the minutes reflect a discussion as to whether the Home should consolidate with the Barclay and Friends Hall or replace its facilities with residential buildings and return its status to residential. As part of the phase-out process, some infirmary guests were transferred to the Friends Hall, a nursing care facility also in West Chester, and a fund was established to offer financial assistance to infirmary guests in order to pay the difference between prices at Friends Hall and the Friends Boarding Home.


7.5 linear ft. (15 boxes)

Language of Materials



The Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting, a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in West Chester, PA, was established in 1891. It was originally for women only, but by 1894, men were also admitted. In 1936, the Home moved to a new facility which was constructed with funds provided by a bequest from Nathaniel Hickman. After 1976, the Home no longer offered nursing services. The collection contains minutes, reports, admission and financial, and other related papers, some of which are restricted.


The collection is divided into seven series:

  1. Historical material
  2. Minutes
  3. Reports
  4. Correspondence
  5. Financial records
  6. Admission information and Guest records
  7. Miscellaneous documents

Physical Location

For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donor: Friends' Boarding Home of Concord Quarterly Meeting

Dates: 3/1994, 2/1998

Related Materials

Alfred D. Sharples invoices and correspondence received, SC 298

Separated Materials

Pictures removed to PA 072 for appropriate storage.

Processing Information

Material added to the collection in 1998 was entered on the inventory in the appropriate place, housed in boxes 12-15. Photos were removed and filed PA 072. Parts of the collection are restricted.

An Inventory of the Friends' Boarding Home of the Concord Quarterly Meeting Records, 1890-1991
FHL staff
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries

Revision Statements

  • 2016: This electronic finding aid was updated in Summer 2016 by Abdulrezak Kemal in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace, to conform to current markup standards and the ArchivesSpace data model.

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting repoductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA