Ozone Club records
Scope and Contents
The Ozone Club records include minute books, correspondence, and miscellaneous papers. A small amount of records from the Niblick Club is also included with the collection, including annual meeting programs and photos.
- Ozone Golf Club (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
The Club was founded by Walter P. Stokes, Walter Smedley, and James G. Biddle as an afternoon of golf once a month with Quaker friends. The success of the group spawned additional social golfing clubs - the Divotee (1921) whose first president was D. Robert Yarnall, then the Niblick Club, first president Benjamin S. Thorp, and a woman's group, the Hit or Miss Club. The groups mingled Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, but membership was largely Hicksite. In the early years, there was a close relationship with the meeting for worship in Atlantic City and the hotels and golf courses located there. Until the 1970s, a requirement was membership in Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, but gradually the requirement was loosened to include persons with "friendly connection."
A popular annual event was the match between the Ozone and Divotees Clubs formally began in 1955.
5 Linear Feet (10 boxes and photographs)
The Ozone Club was a golf association for Quaker men in the Philadelphia area. It was established in 1901 and included in its membership the presidents of Swarthmore College and prominent Quakers. The Niblick Club which was set-off from the Ozone Club in the 1920s, also was a men's golf association with Quaker membership. The Ozone Club records include minute books, correspondence and miscellaneous papers. A small amount of records from the Niblick Club is also included with the collection, including annual meeting programs and photos.
The collection is divided into six series:
- History of Ozone Club
- Secretary's Minute Books
- Correspondence files
- The Niblick Club Records, 1949-1959
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Ozone Club, 1968, 1975.
Donor: Niblick Club material, gift of Anna Pettit Broomell.
Donor: Niblick Annual Meeting brochure, 1925, gift of Charles T. Jenkins, 1925.
Donor: Ozone Club photographs, correspondence and ephemera, gift of Ozone Club. Acc. 2003.003.
Donor: Niblick Club photographs, 1950-1958, gift of Margaret Lippincott, Acc. 2011.034.
Donor: Smedley family, 2018.055
Existence and Location of Copies
Many of the photographs and scores were reproduced in the book Down the Fairways.
The photographs, a small number of which were previously stored with the collection, were removed in 2019 to create a picture collection.
When received from the Ozone Club in 1969, the records were arranged and placed in document boxes in RG/4. Two collection numbers were assigned, Ozone Club Records, RG 4/055, and Niblick Club Records, RG 4/052, but both were included in a one bibliographic description. The finding aids were united into a single collection in 1999 as RG4/055. In 2018, records stored at the Smedley family home were added to the collection. Three generations of Smedley had been active members of the Club.
- An Inventory of the Ozone Club Records, 1901-2001
- Susanna Morikawa
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA