Skip to main content

Haverford Community Center records

 Collection
Identifier: HC.MC-801-11-032

Scope and Contents

Documents include pamphlets informing others about the nature of the Haverford Community Center by addressing community members directly. A 1939 pamphlet provides information advertising the services of the center through a question-and-answer format. Another, undated, encourages the reader to visit the center and contribute to their community through the operations run by the center. A 1941 annual financial report outlines the receipts and expenditures of the community center. Two copies of a review of the center are included. This review addresses a description of the community the center wishes to serve, a description of the center itself, and a discussion of the issues surrounding the center’s contributions. The issues presented in this review pertain to the surrounding Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Ardmore areas of Pennsylvania. Ultimately, the review board strives to answer the question of whether the community center is the best option to fulfill their goals. The review includes a list of recommendations for bettering the center but comes to no clear conclusion regarding the best future for the center.

Dates

  • Creation: 1939-1954

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research use

Use Restrictions

Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17)

Biographical / Historical

The Haverford Community Center began as the Preston Reading Room in 1889 as a playroom for children. The room steadily became available for more of the community, transforming into the “Preston Reading Room, Park and Playground Association” in 1916 and the “Haverford Community Center” in 1921. It aimed to support children of the Haverford community by providing sports, clubs, classes, arts, and more. One of the primary goals for the center was to promote cross cultural understanding between communities of different races in the neighborhoods surrounding Haverford, as well as encouraging leadership and familial relations. The president of the center at the time of these documents was Leslie R. Severinghaus. Severinghaus began teaching at the Haverford School and rose to headmaster before he retired in 1965.

Extent

0.1 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Language

English

Overview

These records contain printed pamphlets describing and advertising aspects of the Haverford Community Center. The center was created to cultivate community in the Haverford area for people of all ages through activities, clubs, and events. Included is a financial report for the expenditures of the center, as well as a thorough review of the center’s advantages and disadvantages regarding their intent and impact on the community.

Arrangement

Organized chronologically with attention to document type.

Acquisition

Unknown

Processing Information

Processed by Alex Murray, completed October 2023

Title
Haverford Community Center records
Author
Alex Murray
Date
October, 2023
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections Library

Contact:
370 Lancaster Ave
Haverford PA 19041 USA US