Skip to main content

Frankford Preparative Meeting Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: QM-Ph-F700

Scope and Contents

Minutes and other records of Frankford Preparative Meeting, 1733-1928, as follows: Hicksite and Orthodox men's meeting minutes, 1772-1928; Hicksite and Orthodox women's meeting minutes, 1795-1907; minutes of the School Committee, 1783-1844; Hicksite financial records, including Treasurer's book, 1772-1928; Hicksite women's meeting (Germantown branch) account book, 1863-1877; School Committee account book,1783-1857 with receipt book, 1795-1798 and minutes, 1843-1852; carpentry agreement in the building of the Oxford meeting house in 1733; membership lists for the Hicksite meeting, 1832.


  • Creation: 1733-1928


Limitations on Accessing the Collection

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Copyright and Rights Information

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

A meeting for worship known as Tacony was established in 1683 by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting; it became part of a monthly meeting along with Poetquesink (Byberry) Meeting in 1683. This was the origin of Abington Monthly Meeting. From 1685 to 1805, this meeting was known as "Oxford." In 1805 the name was changed to "Frankford." It became part of Frankford Monthly Meeting in 1816.

The Orthodox preparative meeting was discontinued in 1928.

The Hicksite preparative meeting absorbed Germantown Preparative Meeting and was transferred to Green Street Monthly Meeting in 1827. In 1999, Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting, in conjunction with Green Street Monthly Meeting, approved a minute granting Frankfort Preparative Meeting monthly meeting status; the Meeting changed its name to Unity Monthly Meeting to avoid confusion with Frankford Monthly Meeting at Orthodox Street, the successor to Frankford Monthly Meeting (Orthodox).


3 Linear Feet



Physical Location

This collection includes records stored at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections.

Immediate Source of Acquisition


Frankford Preparative Meeting Records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library