Arch Street Monthly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting -- pre-Separation, Orthodox, and post-Reunification -- include: vital records, 1672-2000; men’s minutes, 1682-1978; women’s minutes, 1686-1926; financial records, 1683-1990; trustees’ records, 1683-1970; property records, 1683-1970; property committee records, 1697-1970; committee records, 1711-1970; miscellaneous papers, 1664-1974; Friends Select School records, 1832-1968; records of the Philadelphia Association for the Instruction of Poor Children, known as the "Adelphi School, 1807-1938; Library Committee records, 1809-1927.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
A monthly meeting at Philadelphia was established along with Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting in 10mo 1682/3. In 1772, this meeting was divided, resulting in two additional monthly meetings: Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Northern District and Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Southern District. The original meeting was then sometimes referred to as the "Middle District." In 1814, a further division created Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Western District.
At the time of the Separation, the Orthodox Friends held the meeting at 4th and Arch Streets. This meeting was the forerunner of the current Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia at Arch Street.
In 1827, Abington Quarterly Meeting (Hicksite) established a monthly meeting in the city for Friends of Philadelphia and Byberry Meetings. It became part of Philadelphia Quarterly meeting in 1828. From 1828 to 1857, Philadelphia Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) held its sessions at a Meetinghouse on Cherry Street; in 1857, it removed to 15th and Race Streets. In 1956, this monthly meeting merged with Philadelphia Monthly Meeting for the Western District to form the current Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting.
118.25 Linear Feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Records of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) have been described in a separate finding aid.
The records of the Philadelphia Association for the Instruction of Poor Children, known as the "Adelphi School," have been added to MMFP records even though the School was not officially affiliated with any meeting. However, as an organization under the care of Friends, and founded by Thomas Scattergood (1748-1814), a member of MMFP who was celebrated in the publication: The Friends' meeting house, Fourth and Arch streets, Philadelphia : a centennial celebration, Sixth month fourth, 1904, and given that the records had been stored in the vault at MMFP, their addition here seems appropriate
- RECORDS OF THE MONTHLY MEETING OF FRIENDS OF PHILADELPHIA (4th AND ARCH STREETS, PHILADELPHIA, PA)
- A Finding Aid for its Meeting Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library