Abortion Study Group of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of the Abortion Study Group of the Family Relations Committee, under the Representative Meeting. Includes minutes, reports, correspondence, and miscellaneous papers, 1981-1982.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
In response to questions concerning the Yearly Meeting's position on abortion issues, the Family Relations Committee invited other members of PYM committees and interested Friends to form an Abortion Study Group which held its first meeting in June 1981. The goal of the Committee was to study aspects of the issue and to produce a study guide for monthly meetings. The Study Group was clerked by Beverly McCauley, a member and former clerk of the Family Relations Committee. A year later, the group split into two sections to write position papers supporting the pro-life and pro-choice points of view.
1 Linear Feet (1 folder)
The Abortion Study Group was formed by the Family Relations Committee to discuss the Yearly Meeting's position on abortion issues. It met monthly for two years, and wrote position papers supporting the pro-life and pro-choice points of view. Records include minutes, reports, correspondence, and miscellaneous papers.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Abortion -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends
- Contraception -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Abortion Study Group
- Society of Friends -- Delaware
- Society of Friends -- Maryland
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania
- PHILADELPHIA YEARLY MEETING OF THE RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF FRIENDS. ABORTION STUDY GROUP.
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library