Skip to main content

Radnor Monthly Meetings Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: QM-Ph-R300

Scope and Contents

Records of both the pre-Reunification Radnor Monthly Meetings and the records of the sucessor of Radnor United Monthly Meeting.

Records of the first Radnor Monthly Meetings, pre-Separation, Orthodox and Hicksite, 1685-1951 include: vital records, 1680-1826; Hicksite vital records, 1763-1950; Hicksite men’s minutes, 1827-1951; Orthodox men's minutes, 1682-1865; women's minutes, 1685-1811; Hicksite women’s minutes, 1872-1887; Orthodox women’s minutes, 1835-1865; ministers and elders' minutes, 1756-1803; Hicksite ministers’ and elders’ minutes, 1872-1938; Hicksite financial records, 1809-1950; Hicksite miscellaneous papers, 1696-1900; Orthodox miscellaneous papers, 1731-1796.

Records of the second Radnor Monthly Meeting and its predecessor, Radnor United Meeting include: minutes since 1937; vital records, 1937-1987; Worship and Ministry Committee minutes, 1951-1960 and 1964-1978; account book, 1941-1952; papers pertaining to the care of the meetinghouse and burials, 1937-1940; reports, committee appointments, calendars, and other papers, 1963-1969.


  • Creation: 1680-2012


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.

Biographical / Historical

A monthly meeting for the meetings at Haverford, Merion, and Radnor was established in 1684 by Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting. The meeting was originally known as "Haverford". It became known as "Radnor" after Tenth Month, 1796 when the monthly meeting was fixed at Radnor Meeting House. At the time of the Hicksite Separation of 1827, two branches of this monthly meeting were formed.

The Orthodox monthly meeting removed to Haverford after the Separation. It was discontinued in 1865, and its members were attached to the Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia for the Western District.

In 1950, Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting (Hicksite) approved the discontinuance of Radnor Monthly Meeting. Its preparative meetings of Haverford and Merion were then established as monthly meetings. Radnor Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) was discontinued in 1951.

In 1936, the formation of a United Monthly Meeting at Radnor out of Haverford Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) and Valley Monthly Meeting (Hicksite) was approved by the two Philadelphia quarterly meetings. The meeting was established in 1937 and was known as Radnor United Monthly Meeting. The name of this meeting was changed to Radnor Monthly Meeting in 1955. This Radnor Monthly Meeting is currently active.


57.75 linear ft.

Language of Materials


Physical Location

This collection includes records stored at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College and at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Please contact for more information on depositing new records.

Immediate Source of Acquisition


Radnor Monthly Meetings Records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting repoductions from Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library