Skip to main content

Collection of John Melchior Ogden papers

 Collection — othertype: SC-171
Identifier: SFHL-SC-171


This collection consists of the papers of John Melchior Ogden, including newspaper clippings, letters and receipts, as well as notices from charitable associations such as the Carpenters' Company and the House of Refuge. Also included are letters to Charles Smith Ogden regarding the book, In Memoriam John Melchior Ogden, as well as reminiscences of Philadelphia in 1800 by Jesse Ogden, and an engraving of Fairhill Meeting House by Joseph Pennell.


  • Creation: 1825-1885


Restrictions on Access

This collection is available for research use.

Biographical / Historical

John Ogden (1791-1882) was a Quaker builder and architect of Philadelphia. He was a founder or member of many local charitable organizations, including the Apprentices' Library, the Carpenters Company, and the House of Refuge. His brother, Jesse (1786-1864) was also a Philadelphia Quaker. His son, Charles Smith, published his memorial.


.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (2 folders.))



Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source of acquisition--Carmen D. Valentino. Method of acquisition--Purchased from; Date of acquisition--1995.

Description rules
Archives, Personal Papers, And Manuscripts (Appm)
Language of description
Script of description

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting or requesting reproductions from Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library

500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA