Ely family correspondence
The collection contains correspondence received by members of the Ely family, Quakers of Bucks County, Pa. The bulk of the correspondence concerns estate matters received by Hugh B. Ely as an executor of the estate of Elias Ely. The second group is largely family correspondence received by Mary Anna Ely who married Moses Eastburn. Most of the letters were written by her sister Francenia (Fanny) before Mary Anna's marriage and are devoted to family matters. Two letters dated 1876 are addressed to her son Hugh B. Eastburn, born 1846, and concern teaching positions. He served as superintendent of schools in Bucks County and later became an attorney.
- Ely family (Family)
Language of Material
Materials are in English.
Restrictions on Access
Open for research without restrictions.
Biographical / Historical
Hugh B. Ely (1792-1850) was a birthright member of Buckingham Monthly Meeting, the son of Jesse and Rachel (Carver) Ely. He married Sarah M. Olden in 1814, and the couple had seven children: Achsah, Mary Anna, Francenia, Joseph, Alfred, Charles B., and William Penn Ely. Hugh B. Ely inherited the family homestead and served as a county commissioner. Mary Anna Ely (1816-1879) married Moses Eastburn in 1845. His family also had deep Quaker roots in Bucks County, Pa., and he served as clerk of Solebury Monthly Meeting as well as many prominent roles in the community.
.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (2 folders.))
Organized into folders: Folder 1: Legal correspondence received by Hugh B. Ely, 1837-1848; Folder 2: Correspondence received by Mary Ann (Ely) Eastburn, 1839-1855, 1876, n.d.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Thomas Hamm. Method of acquisition--Gift of; Date of acquisition--2016.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA